Sunday, May 18, 2014

"Love to serve those around you" April 21, 2014 Final letter from Ukraine

 Hello all my family!

It has been just an incredible week for me this last week for various reasons :) but it has been yet another week filled with learning.

We have over 200 missionaries right now in our mission here in Kiev and that means a whole lot of missionary work is getting done. Very exciting. Personally for us, we weren't able to see a whole lot this week, but we are doing our best to take care of what the Lord has given us.

I love this thought--  'those placed in our path and those the Father gives us to love'. All of them are for us to grow! And if we have a hard time doing so, my counsel reflects the words of the Prophet Joseph Smith: Enlarge your heart towards all men until you feel of necessity to take them upon your shoulders.

Isn't that so true?  We need to love all those around us.  Like Isaiah wrote (but I will share it in my own words so bare with me) -- we will carry our brothers and sisters upon our shoulders and be their nursing kings and nursing queens -- in otherwords we will serve with love.

That is really the theme of all Christ-like discipleship. Yes, there is sacrifice, there are callings to fulfill, there are commandments to obey; but, when it all comes down to it all our good works really do stream from our Love to God and then accordingly to ourselves and our fellowmen.

Even in our Savior's last week He continued to serve until the end.  He never stopped serving.

The following scriptural passage really touched my heart this week as I thought about my love towards my fellowmen all around the world and my service towards them as a natural result of my love: "Now before the feast of the passover, when Jesus knew that his hour was come that he should depart out of this world unto the Father, having loved his own which were in the world, he loved them unto the end...Jesus knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he was come from God, and went to God; (in other words, having received all things and really being set in the eternal scheme of things, understanding that he was the literal Son of God and was soon to be above all things...) He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself. After that he poureth water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples’ feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded" (John 13:1-5).

Ok, now stop and take a minute to just think about what kind of man our Savior really is. He was and is not ever far from the experiences that we have. I find solace and comfort in His life story because I see just what He did when was faced with a situation that I may now (or will someday) be in. Whether that be keeping His peace, testifying with boldness, taking a break because he was hungry (I like that one), true weeping, desiring to let His trials pass from Him, and His faithfulness in completely and utterly serving to the end. Our Master is "the way, the truth, and the life" (John 14:6).

In this Easter season, I want to thank you for helping me come to better know my Savior because of your wonderful examples.  And as dad says and I totally agree and express my heart that you (mom) for me are an example of Christ-like love and service. I can't even express how many times that I am awed by your example of Christ. I love you so much!

Can you imagine it that my farewell was given nearly two years ago on Mother's Day? There's no doubt in my mind why Christ's mother was extremely important to Him. So I try to emulate His example.
He lives. And because of Him we will again.

I think Ukraine is the only place on the planet that instead of saying "Hello....or Happy Easter" on Easter, the Ukrainians instead say: "Christ is risen!" and in response you say to them "Yes of truth, He is risen!"

I love my Savior so much and am so grateful that I have such a Savior, Teacher, Master, Friend, and Brother.  (I guess I do have an older brother so I am the middle child MaKormick! Smile).

Strengthen your relationship with Him and then share the results.

Pray for the people of Ukraine.

Elder Claypool

No comments:

Post a Comment