Tuesday, April 23, 2013

"Let Us All Press On" April 15, 2013

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing good! I honestly can say that the thing that made me happiest about your letter was to hear that MaKormick got to go out with your local missionaries and that you are working close with the missionaries. I really loved President Eyring's talk from Priesthood Session of General Conference when he clearly outlined the role of a member in missionary work. I cannot even begin to explain how grateful I am as a missionary for members who, without poking and proding, fulfill the promises they made to Heavenly Father at the time of their baptism and even more so in the Temple if they have received such ordinances. 

We are focusing right now on the family in our mission because that, along with missionary work, are all that matter in this life. Really, the family is the only thing that matters...it's just that missionary work is the strengthening life-blood of the family, both the individual family and the family of mankind.  We preach the Gospel in our homes. 

On the streets, people are in a hurry to work and it gives us a good opportunity to ask "What is the most important work you can do?" Thanks to modern day revelation, we know that the greatest work we can ever do is within the walls of our own homes. We also know as the Prophet Joseph Smith said when it all comes down to it, preaching the gospel is the greatest duty of man. 

We preach the Gospel to our friends. I love how the Index in the Russian scriptures defines missionary work so simply.  Missionary work is preaching the gospel by example and, if neccessary, using words.  Let the Spirit guide. 

We preach the Gospel to the world. Isn't it interesting that the prophets and apostles whom we sustain and support as ordained ministers and special witnesses of Jesus Christ quoted the last few verses of the Gospel of Mattew over 5 times during conference? "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo,I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen." (Matthew 28:18-20) That was the last thing that Jesus said to those who called themselves Christians - and is a marking characteristic of all who call themselves Christians, as Elder Oaks so clearly taught in General Conference. 

And We give all the opportunity to our families beyond the grave to partake of the blessings of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. 

This is a pretty cool work, isnt it? Smile. 

I have such a strong testimony that the Prophet Thomas Monson is the Prophet of God on the earth today. He holds all the keys and eternal authority needed and required to receive all the greatest blessings we could ever receive from our all-possesing Father in Heaven. I believe he is the prophet of God. The coolest thing for me is that like the Israelites who followed Moses, the Nephite who applied the words of King Benjamin, or the Early saints who with faith sacrificed all to heed the words of the Prophet Joseph Smith, I can follow the Prophet in my days. And I choose to also. 

I guess with all the missionary work that is going on in our home I can only imagine the blessings that will come to our family, our home, the twins's future, and all the people Korm will touch and convert as a missionary. This is the work to be in! Thanks for your example and humility to change from the comfortable way things were done before and sacrifice to follow the Prophet who is calling all of us to take our position in the ranks and not sit this last final battle out. "The Challenge for all of us is to be more a profitable servant in the Lord's vineyard." (President Monson). Who knows what the future will hold.

I don't know who my new companion is, but I'll know tomorrow. I'm staying here in Donetsk to further my part of the work He has suffered me to fulfill.

I'm so glad to hear from you and to hear all the wonderful news there. Wasn't General Conference amazing?! (www.lds.org). Between watching it in Russian and in English we watched a total of 18 hours of General Conference this last weekend! It's really quite amazing to watch in Russian next to these members I love so dearly. Sadly, many members, after the 1st session, didn't stay to watch all the other sessions (which was super frustrating for me since we need these members to be stronger). I would hope all would not put something wordly above the words from God through His prophets and apostles. There is nothing more important and we can thankfully always find time. 

The mission is going wonderful with a lot of weaknesses in me but I am feeling more and more like a true missionary. The secret? Applying "Preach My Gospel" (this is a manual/booklet which missionaries use and it can be found on the church website), which are words of the Prophets. We obey with exactness and we receive blessings...it's almost like God promised us that obedience is important...okay so my lack of funniness in my jokes hasn't changed, but in all seriousness my testimony has definitely strengthened that God is in the Work. I even memorized D&C section 4 for the first time in my life...in Russian yes, but still, like Elder Scott has taught multiple times, "memorized scriptures become friends in a time of need". 

Sounds like dad continues the battle against woodpeckers attacking the house. Did you know that they have woodpeckers here in Urkaine too? They are called dyaddles. 

To let you know about my surroundings, the Shakhtar stadium is pretty close to our area, but you could Google the street Parkhomenko 4a...that is the church next to which we live. It's our future stake center - smile !

I wanted to thank you so much for what you taught me as a youth. The Prophet and Apostles quoted 1 Peter 3:15 quite a few times and I instantly remembered our days from priest quorum class together. Though the youth of this day are more prepared and will be even better missionaries than we will have been, I'm grateful for the aid I received from you. It's our job now to "catch the wave" as Elder Nelson said and become better missionaries. I'm reading the New Testament right now which I have read earlier in my life. But now I'm more focused and feel like it is really the first time. It is incredible to see the Master and His example to all. I love Him. 

Pray for our investigators and less actives. We are building this desire to be more profitable servants of the Lord, but we need all the prayers and the timing of the Lord we can get. I guess we just need to work with diligence until the time is right. It's all going to happen very soon...we can feel it. Never forget how much I love you and revere you.

Love Your Son Elder Claypool

No comments:

Post a Comment